Dear humans please understand and accept a fact that scratching things is in cat’s nature!
By all means you can’t make a cat stop scratching, but you can keep a cat from destroying furniture by providing a proper scratching solution.
Cat scratching solutions
By scratching solutions I mean anything you allow your cat to scratch in the house. This can be a cat scratching post, climbing towers, other kinds of cat’s playgrounds or even carpet or old chair granted to your cat.
Modern stuff can be very stylish and even become decoration of your interior unlike torn to shreds chair which you most likely will try to hide out of sight.
Proper cat scratching solutions
Your cat will show if provided scratching solution is proper or not! You may spend a fortune on cat castle which will be ignored by your pet. Even more discouraging is when a cat rejects to use scratching post you diligently made by your own hands!
- So it’s better to observe your cat’s scratching habits to offer most attractive scratching place.
- Does a cat like to scratch a corner? If so, vertical corner scratcher would work fine.
- For those who prefer to scratch horizontally cat loungers with scratching surface (sisal or carpet) would be preferable.
- Kittens most likely will appreciate climbing towers and playgrounds.
- Does your cat enjoy scratching cardboard, carpet, furniture cloth or other particular material? Take this into consideration.
If you don’t offer your cat a proper scratching place, cat will have to decide by itself what to scratch. If a cat chooses your favorite couch you may blame only yourself for that.
As for me, I adore to scratch and nibble boxes!
Cardboard cat scratchers (or simple boxes) are good for us:
- Re-use of cardboard boxes is eco-friendly.
- Not buying special scratching posts and not paying for spoilt furniture in rented houses and hotels saves family budget.
- This is convenient for travelling – no extra luggage! (…we have pretty much of my luggage without scratching posts)
The only disadvantage is a lot of paperboard scraps I carry around the entire house on my tail and claws, but She can handle that!
I believe there is a perfect scratching solution for you and your cat as well. Good luck to find it!